Friday, September 23, 2011

Why would I have to change the headlight in my car so often?

It's been 8 times in the past 18 months.....I drive a 1999 Honda Civic. Is this normal or could there be something wrong?
Why would I have to change the headlight in my car so often?
If you touch a halogen bulb and get oil or grease on it, it won't last very long. Instead, hold it with a dry rag or newspaper.
Why would I have to change the headlight in my car so often?
Not sure about your car but my camaro, would switch headlights, i would put one in and the other one would blow and this continued until i found out when you replace head lights make sure you disconnect the battery.I dont know if this will help you but its worth a try.
Had the same problem on my Corolla. Not sure was it was but a couple of things to consider. Wear a latex glove so that your skin doesn't touch the bulb. Skin oil can diffuse through the quartz into the bulb and oxidize the filament causing it to burn out. Also, the light should be clean and dry. If there is a leak moisture could be getting into the light. Another problem may be a bad connection causing the bulb to see higher than normal voltage and burn out early. This needs an electrical check by a good auto electrician.
Sounds to me like you have an electrically system problem. My 1999 Nissan Sentra was doing the same thing plus my headlights would randomly shut off while I was driving! Anyway go to a mechanic that you can really trust and have them check your electrically system. All they do is plug some machine into your car and it pin points what the problem is. Good luck!
CHECK THE WIRES FOR GROUNDING POINTS(BARE WIRES TOUCHING THE FRAME OR BODY) I HAVE ALWAYS FOUND THAT REPLACING BOTH HEADLIGHTS AT THE SAME TIME HELPS. I WOULD PUT MY MONEY ON A GROUNDING ISSUE